Dominican Diaspora Heritage Tour
9 DAYS /8 NIGHTS
A re-connecting, insightful & explorational travel experience
OVERVIEW & PURPOSE
➵ Join us in exploring and learning about our Dominican society, heritage, and history.
➵ Get to know the local hotspots and the rural natural wonders of Quisqueya.
➵ Connect & network with fellow Dominicans who will introduce you to different perspectives and aspects of Dominican life and identity.
➵ Learn a more holistic version of Hispaniola’s history.
➵And re-connect with your heritage while we guide you through different corners of the country.
TRIP ITINERARY: Highlights & Destinations
Tour Days 1 – 3
Santo Domingo, Monte Plata & Villa Mella
- Take cooking lessons in rural Monte Plata
- Bath in el Salto de Socoa
- Attend a fiesta de congos (similar to palo) in Villa Mella
- Meet with a Kurandera for a medicinal plant workshop
- Walking tours and visits to history sights
- Learn a more holistic version of Dominican history
- Discuss topics in today’s Dominican society
- Meet with leading social activists in travel & society
- Explore Santo Domingo’s cultural nightlife
Tour Days 4 – 6
Barahona, Pedernales, Azua, Bahia de las Aguilas & Jarabacoa
- Discover the Dominican mountainous southwest
- Roadtrip through the Dominican Riviera
- Making stops along the way in Barahona, Los Patos & Pedernales
- Climb the Bani sand dunes & head over to the pink waters of Las Salinas
- Visit Bahia de las Aguilas
- Bani desert sand dunes & Las Salinas (pink salt pans)
- Visit the Jarabacoa in the Dominican Alps
- Dinner on top of a mountain restaurant
Tour Days 7 – 9
Monte Cristi (town and national park), Cayo Siete Hermanos & Isla Cabra
- Discover the town of Monte Cristi
- Learn about and tour the local historic sights such as the original home of Maximo Gomez
- Visit the Monte Cristi National Park
- Take a private boat tour through the unique mangrove canals
- Enjoy swimming in piscinas naturales
- Opportunities for snorkeling
- Visit the nearby cluster of islands such as Cayo Cabra and Cayo 7 Hermanos
- Possible sight-seeing of the local manatees!
- Domestic transportation and driver via private air-conditioned mini-van or bus
- Family meals (breakfast, lunch & dinner)
- Eight nights’ accomodation
- Tour guides
- All entrance fees
- Airport transfers
What’s Not Included
- Flights (but assistance can be provided with finding the best deals)
- Travel insurance
- Tips for guides/driver
- Optional excursions
- Please email which month you are interested in for, and if you are looking for a shared or private.
- Costs will vary.
SCHOLARSHIPS: To keep this trip inclusive, we’re offering partial scholarships to travelers who are passionate about exploring their Heritage but may not be able to afford the full ticket price ticket.
February 16, 2019 to February 24, 2019
March 9, 2019 to March 17, 2019.
Payment plans are available upon request.
After submitting your deposit, you can divide payments into monthly installments until one month before your trip date.
Group sizes will be limited to 10-15 travelers to provide a cozier space for cultivating more meaningful connections among fellow Dominicans.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- What type of accomodation? Our accomodation will range from glamping (glamorous camping on the beach) to Airbnbs to very nice hotels on the mountain river. But they will all be places with strong reviews. As a traveler, I value accomodation above all. I believe where you sleep/come home to at the end of the day can dictate how you feel the rest of the day!
- How will we get around? Depending on the group size, we will be traveling around via air-conditioned minivan or minibus. You will have me as your tour guide and a private driver to take us around the island.
- Can I share a room with my friend? Of course! Just let me know who is your friend when you pay.
- How can we pay? I am accepting payments via PayPal, Venmo, and credit card. Email me for the information or you can book by credit card here.
- Can you provide more information on how to prepare for the trip? I will be sending out a packing guide, an FAQ, and some other information so that you can best prepare for this trip!
- Will you only provide transfer to Puerto Plata/Santiago airports? If you are flying out of Santo Domingo, we can bring you there as well.
- How can I get a partial scholarship for this trip? Email me if this trip is out of your means and I will send you more information on partial scholarship.
Learn. Connect. Explore.
Learn. Connect. Explore.
How to PAY
Private AccomodationBook now